Program Officer / Senior Program Officer, International Fuel Cycle Strategies Program
Posted Jan. 23, 2018
We are actively building our team at NTI to support the newly-established International Fuel Cycle Strategies (FC) program. This is a unique opportunity to help develop, and implement projects that will make a global impact on reducing nuclear threats while supporting the peaceful uses of nuclear energy. We seek dynamic personnel who are ready to hit the ground running!
The FC program is working to identify, incentivize and implement approaches to the international nuclear fuel cycle that:
- support peaceful nuclear activities while reinforcing key nonproliferation and nuclear security principles,
- is backstopped with appropriately designed and resourced international safeguards and monitoring measures, and
- provides the foundation for flexible, but urgent, responses in the face of proliferation crises.
Under the direction of the Vice President, the Program Officer will focus on work related to international safeguards and monitoring, including in countries/regions of specific proliferation concerns. The Program Officer also performs research, writing and communication activities to support the achievement of the program’s objectives. Domestic and international travel will be required. Commensurate with work experience, applicants could be considered at the level of Senior Program Officer.
The Program Officer will have the following responsibilities:
Coordinating and supporting the following FC program goals:
- Identify successful international safeguards and monitoring approaches, opportunities, and gaps in current systems.
- Assess, and make recommendations related to, the technical, legal and political landscape covering international implementation of safeguards and monitoring measures.
- Address persistent and emerging challenges to fuel cycle safeguards and monitoring regimes.
- Respond to proliferation crises related to nuclear fuel cycle capabilities, e.g. Iran and North Korea.
- Providing strategic guidance to, and implementation of, FC and other NTI programs related to countering nuclear threats.
- Conducting substantive research and policy analysis.
- Developing written analysis and content for reports, memos, blogs, the NTI website, and social media.
- Helping to plan and coordinate meetings and events, including overseeing logistical arrangements.
- Helping to coordinate, and prepare materials for Congressional outreach activities.
- Assisting with preparation and management of grant proposals and reports.
- Proactively identifying opportunities to share program activities and outcomes via the NTI website and on social media.
- Representing NTI both domestically and internationally as necessary to support and promote program goals
- Liaising and developing relationships with key stakeholders in governments, industry, international organizations, academia, and non-government organizations.
- Master’s degree in international relations, nuclear engineering, physics, political science, or another relevant field.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience, 7-10 years for senior program officer.
- Detailed knowledge of the IAEA safeguards system, preferably with experience at the IAEA or a related national government agency.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal skills.
- Prior experience with international travel and direct involvement with officials from governments and international organizations.
Send a cover letter, resume, two references, and writing sample on a relevant topic to email@example.com. Please use the subject line, “FC PROGRAM OFFICER.” Please submit your interest no later than February 14, 2018, though applications will be considered as received.