Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority (EAEA)
|Other Name:||Atomic Energy Authority (AEA)|
|Location:||Inshas (NE Cairo suburb), and Nasr City (East Cairo suburb)|
|Subordinate To:||Ministry of Electricity|
|Size:||Four research centers|
The EAEA is Egypt's primary nuclear research authority. Established in 1955, its mandate is to enable the "efficient utilization of the peaceful applications of nuclear energy."  The EAEA employs more than 1,400 nuclear scientists and engineers, assisted by 3,600 technical and 1,300 support staff.  Egypt became a member state of the IAEA in 1958, and the EAEA is the focal point of contact for agency technical assistance. 
The EAEA is organized into four research centers. Inshas houses the Nuclear Research Center (NRC) and the Hot Laboratories and Waste Management Center (HLWMC), while Nasr City hosts the National Centre for Radiation Research and Technology (NCRRT) and the National Centre for Nuclear Safety and Radiation Control (NCNSRC). 
 Aly Islam Metwally Aly, "Preample," Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority, www.eaea.org.eg.
 International Atomic Energy Agency, "Nuclear Energy Handbook: Egypt," www.iaea.org.
 Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority, "Historical Background," www.eaea.org.eg.
 Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority, "EAEA Cooperation on the International Level," www.eaea.org.eg.
 Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority, "EAEA Location," www.eaea.org.eg.
This material is produced independently for NTI by the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies at the Monterey Institute of International Studies and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of and has not been independently verified by NTI or its directors, officers, employees, or agents.