Program Officer, Global Nuclear Policy Program
Posted Jan. 4, 2019
The Nuclear Threat Initiative is seeking a Program Officer to support NTI’s Global Nuclear Policy Program. The program officer would help to implement and coordinate NTI efforts related to reducing reliance on nuclear weapons and preventing their spread and use. The Global Nuclear Policy Program’s programming covers the following project areas:
- U.S. nuclear policy and posture, including nuclear weapons modernization and budget
- Nuclear risk reduction, arms control, disarmament and nonproliferation policy
- Euro-Atlantic security and NATO
- U.S.-Russia nuclear relations
- NTI-sponsored regional leadership networks and global nuclear policy partners
- Congressional outreach
The program officer would report to the NTI Vice President for the Global Nuclear Policy Program. The Program Officer will provide program support to the Vice President and other senior program staff to implement programming activities. The position will require some international and domestic travel.
NTI is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization working to protect our lives, environment, and quality of life now and for future generations. We work to prevent catastrophic attacks with weapons of mass destruction and disruption (WMDD) – nuclear, biological, radiological, chemical, and cyber. NTI designs and implements innovative projects with partners around the world to directly reduce threats and to build momentum and support for action on a larger scale. Founded in 2001 by former U.S. Senator Sam Nunn and philanthropist Ted Turner who continue to serve as co-chairs, NTI is guided by a prestigious, international board of directors. Ernest J. Moniz serves a chief executive officer and co-chair; Des Browne is vice chair; and Joan Rohlfing serves as president.
Responsibilities: The Program Officer will have the following responsibilities:
- Conduct substantive research and policy analysis
- Develop written analysis and content for reports, memos, blogs, the NTI website, and social media
- Help plan and coordinate domestic and international meetings and events, including overseeing logistical arrangements
- Help schedule, coordinate, participate in and prepare materials for Congressional outreach activities
- Maintain data base of NTI’s congressional contacts and outreach
- Assist with preparation and management of grant proposals and reports
- Proactively identify opportunities to share NTI- generated content or the content of NTI-sponsored regional leadership networks and global nuclear policy partners via the NTI website and on social media
- Track policy developments and activities of governments and organizations relevant to the work of the Global Nuclear Policy Program
- Represent NTI in domestic and international settings, as appropriate, to support and promote program goals
- Liaise and develop relationships with key stakeholders in governments, congress, industry, academia, and non-government organizations.
- Master’s degree in international relations, political science, nuclear engineering, physics, or another relevant field
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience in national security, international affairs and/or nuclear policy
- A demonstrated interest in nuclear policy
- Ability to juggle multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Strong analytic, research, writing, and communication skills
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and collaborative skills
- Ability to work independently but in a team environment
- Willingness to travel
- Experience working in congress or with congressional outreach a plus
Send a cover letter, resume, two references, and writing sample to email@example.com and put GNPP PROGRAM OFFICER in the subject line. Please submit your interest no later than January 25, 2019.