Posted Aug. 14, 2019
The Nuclear Threat Initiative is seeking a Senior Accountant to join the Finance Department.
NTI works to protect our lives, environment, and quality of life now and for future generations. We work to prevent catastrophic attacks with weapons of mass destruction and disruption (WMDD) – nuclear, biological, radiological, chemical, and cyber.
The Senior Accountant will report to the Controller and work with a team of three staff members and the Chief Financial Officer to support NTI’s finance and accounting activities. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare journal entries and monthly reconciliations.
- Produce monthly financial reports at the corporate, program, and grant level to be distributed within 15 calendar days after month-end.
- Prepare ad hoc reports to facilitate financial analysis and to assist with planning and forecasting activities.
- Support the Controller in timely annual close processes.
- Review accounts payable and assist with managing the accounts payable function.
- Support the entire process of preparing and monitoring NTI’s annual operating budget.
- Assist the Chief Financial Officer in preparing materials for Board meetings.
Internal Controls and Compliance
- Maintain accurate financial records in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Review and update financial operating policies and procedures on an ongoing basis. Draft new policies as necessary.
- Prepare and/or review work papers for the annual financial statement audit. Act as a liaison during the year-end audit of NTI’s financial statements.
- Support management of the corporate credit card and travel and business expense reimbursement programs. Prepare analysis of corporate credit card spending activity.
- Collaborate with the Director of Contracts and Grants to support the processing of contracts and grants, the preparation of proposal budgets, donor reporting. Stay up to date on grants activity.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting
- At least 5 years non-profit accounting experience or 3-5 years supervising a non-profit audit
- Advanced Excel skills, including Vlookups and pivot tables
Additional Skills and Qualifications:
- Proficiency with Financial Edge or other non-profit accounting systems. Knowledge of Salesforce is a plus
- Strong understanding of generally accepted accounting principles for non-profit accounting
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
- Detail oriented and committed to continuous improvement
- Aptitude for numbers and quantitative skill.
- Ability to collaborate with cross functional areas
NTI is committed to attracting and retaining a talented and diverse workforce. We are an equal opportunity employer.
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] using SENIOR ACCOUNTANT in the subject line.