A Vietnamese port security interceptor, Source: Vietnam Customs
Offers/Requests of Assistance
Vietnam has officially requested assistance through the 1540 Committee, noting that "The General Department of Viet Nam Customs wishes to receive assistance in combating against WMD and their related materials, as follows:
- A database system to keep track of those who exchange, sell weapons and terrorists; establish an up-to-date information technology system within and outside the Custom sector for compliance management, risk management and exchange of electronic data, so as to control most effectively the transport of WMD.
- Information on non-proliferation and terrorism prevention in general, and on trans-border smuggling and transport of banned goods, and state crimes in particular;
- Opportunities to participate in conferences, exchange experience between Viet Nam Customs and Customs of other countries, international organizations in the non-proliferation field;
- Means to strengthen goods control and monitor (such as video camera, X-ray machines, et cetera);
- Training in skills to detect, identify and control WMD and their related materials."
In 2012, Vietnam cooperated with South Korea and the IAEA to launch a pilot project on the establishment of a real time tracking system of radiological materials in the country. Vietnam also operates a Megaports Initiative port in Cai Mep.
See the United Nations 1540 Committee Website for more information on Assistance Requested by Member States.
- Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT)
- Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC)
Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material (CPPNM)
•2005 Amendment to CPPNM
- Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention (BTWC)
- Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT)
- Joint Convention on the Safety of Spent Fuel Management and on the Safety of Radioactive Waste Management (JC)
- Convention for the Suppression of the Financing of Terrorism (TFC)
- Global Initiative to Combat Nuclear Terrorism (GICNT)
- SEANWFZ Treaty (Treaty of Bangkok)
- Convention on Nuclear Safety (CNS)
- International Convention for the Suppression of Acts of Nuclear Terrorism (NTC)
- Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI): On May 21, 2014, The Vietnamese Foreign Ministry announced that the country had decided to join the PSI, stating that Vietnam consistently supports international cooperation for the common goal of preventing the risk of proliferation of WMD and related delivery systems and materials.
Corruption Perceptions Index
- Index (2014)
- 31/100 (Rank 119/175)