Global Security Newswire
Daily News on Nuclear, Biological & Chemical Weapons, Terrorism and Related Issues
French SLBM User Trial Ends in Failure
A user trial of a French submarine-launched ballistic missile was unsuccessful on Sunday, though the reason why will not be clear until after an investigation is conducted, Agence France-Presse reported.
The unarmed M51 SLBM "self-destructed during its first propulsion phase ... for an unknown reason," Atlantic Naval Prefecture spokesman Lt. Commander Lionel Delort said.
"The reasons will be determined by an investigation," he said.
The strategic weapon was launched from the strategic nuclear submarine Vigilant in the Bay of Audierne and had been programmed to splashdown in the northern Atlantic Ocean. Fragments from the destroyed SLBM, which landed some 15 miles from the cost, will be gathered for study, according to Delort.
The M51 can travel up to 5,000 miles. It was inducted into the French navy in 2010 after five test trials were successful.
Subscribe to GSN
NTI Analysis
-
Fact Sheet: Building Global Security by Taking Nuclear Weapons off Hair-Trigger Alert
Oct. 15, 2012
Background information, frequently asked questions and why the United States and Russia should take nuclear weapons off hair-trigger alert status.
Country Profile
France
This article provides an overview of France’s historical and current policies relating to nuclear, chemical, biological and missile proliferation.

