Established in 1947 in Lesnoy (then known as Sverdlovsk-45), the Elektrokhimpribor Combine was initially utilized to produce highly-enriched uranium for the Soviet nuclear weapons program. In 1951, the plant was repurposed for assembly and disassembly of nuclear warheads. 1 Elektrokhimpribor reportedly specialized in the manufacturing, refurbishment, and dismantlement of warhead physics packages. 2
In the wake of Rosatom’s consolidation of its nuclear weapons activities, Elektrokhimpribor Combine appears to be one of two remaining sites in Russia (along with the Instrumentation Factory), engaged in assembly and disassembly of warheads. 3 Since 1985, the facility has also manufactured civilian goods, including isotopes and devices used in resource extraction and medicine. 4
- Highly enriched uranium (HEU)
- Highly enriched uranium (HEU): Refers to uranium with a concentration of more than 20% of the isotope U-235. Achieved via the process of enrichment. See entry for enriched uranium.
- Dismantlement: Taking apart a weapon, facility, or other item so that it is no longer functional.
- Isotope: Any two or more forms of an element having identical or very closely related chemical properties and the same atomic number (the same number of protons in their nuclei), but different atomic weights or mass numbers (a different number of neutrons in their nuclei). Uranium-238 and uranium-235 are isotopes of uranium.
- “65 лет со дня образования предприятия” “65 years since the day of the enterprise’s formation,” (ФГУП) Комбинат Электрохимприбор Elektrokhimpribor Combine, www.ehp-atom.ru.
- Oleg Bukharin, “Downsizing Russia’s Nuclear Warhead Production Infrastructure,” The Nonproliferation Review, Spring 2001, p. 124.
- Oleg Bukharin and James Doyle, “Verification of the Shutdown or Converted Status of Excess Warhead Production Capacity: Technology Options and Policy Issues,” Science & Global Security, 10/2002, pp. 103-124.
- “65 лет со дня образования предприятия” 65 years since the day of the enterprise’s formation, (ФГУП) Комбинат Электрохимприбор Elektrokhimpribor Combine, www.ehp-atom.ru.