Global Security Newswire
The July 31, 2014 edition of Global Security Newswire (GSN) was its last.
Launched just weeks after 9/11 as part of the Nuclear Threat Initiative’s public education mission, the five-day-a-week, online news service covered terrorism and nuclear, chemical and biological threats—urgent issues under-covered by mainstream news organizations. GSN boasted a talented and award-winning news staff, led by Editor Elaine Grossman. We are proud of their work, and we appreciated the strong partnership we had with National Journal to produce the Newswire.
The decision to end GSN was difficult, driven by familiar themes in today’s changing news media environment. When NTI launched GSN, there were few news options for our international policy audience. Today, readers can choose from myriad blogs, aggregation services and news alerts, diminishing GSN’s once-unique position. Some of them are listed below and may help you fill the gap. In addition, GSN’s articles and daily editions will remain archived and available on NTI’s web site.
We are grateful to National Journal’s leadership, to Elaine Grossman, and to the GSN journalists who over the years brought you the latest news on the issues important to all of us. And we are especially grateful to you, GSN’s readers, for your interest and for your dedication to building a safer world.
-Nuclear Threat Initiative
Free E-mail and News Aggregation Options
- Defense One: An e-daily with original news, analysis and opinion on U.S. defense and national security from National Journal
- Early Bird Brief: A daily aggregation of international defense and military reports compiled by the staffs of Military Times and Defense News
- Early Warning: A daily email of aggregated nuclear news from the Ploughshares Fund
- Nuclear Policy News: A daily email of news clips from around the world on nuclear issues from the Center for Strategic and International Studies’ Project on Nuclear Issues
- Proliferation News: A twice-weekly email of aggregated news on nuclear nonproliferation from the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- The Situation Report: A daily email from Foreign Policy on national security issues