|Last Updated:||September 30, 2011|
|Other Name:||원자력연구소; Nuclear Research Institute; Atomic Energy Research Center|
|Location:||Bungang-jigu (분강지구), Yongbyon-gun (영변군), Pyonganbuk-do (평안북도), North Korea|
|Subordinate To:||General Department of Atomic Energy (원자력총국), Cabinet (내각); or the Korean Workers Party (조선노동당)|
|Size:||380 buildings including: Nuclear Physics Laboratory, Radiochemical Laboratory, and Isotope Processing Labs. Three branches: Pakchon(박천) in Pyonganbuk(평안북도), Wonsan(원산) in Kangwon-do(강원도), and Nanam-kuyok(나남구역) in Hamgyongbuk-do(함경북도) |
North Korea first established an Atomic Energy Research Institute (원자력연구소) under its Academy of Sciences in December 1952.  The institute was moved to the Yongbyon Nuclear Research Center in the early 1964, and the institute currently has three branches.  The Pyongyang branch, established in 1987, is the Atomic Energy Research Institute. The Nanam-kuyok (나남구역) branch includes the Radioisotope Laboratory, built in 1980; and the Wonsan (원산) branch includes the Radiological Protection Institute.
 북한개요 2009 [North Korea Introduction 2009] (Seoul: Korea Institute for National Unification, 2009), p.322.
 “북한네트-백과: 과학기술 연구기관 [DPRK Net – Encyclopedia: Science Technology Research Institutions],” Joogang Ilbo, http://nk.joins.com.
 “시사백과: 북핵/일지 [North Korea Diary],” Chosun Ilbo, October 2006, http://nkchosun.com.