NTI | bio and partners have extended the deadline of the 2019 Next Generation for Biosecurity Competition to October 29, 2019 at midnight EDT. Submissions should be sent to [email protected].
NTI | bio is partnering with the Next Generation Global Health Security (GHS) Network to advance the biosecurity and biosafety-related targets of the Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA). Together, we are launching the third annual joint competition to foster a biosecurity professional track within the Next Generation GHS Network. The 2019 competition will spur next generation experts in health security to discuss catalytic actions that can be taken to reduce biological risks associated with advances in technology and promote biosecurity norms.
For the 2019 Next Generation for Biosecurity Competition, we will publish creative and innovative papers that promote regional, multi-sectoral, and global collaboration. Each team can include up to three people and should: 1) explore concrete collaborative actions that can be taken to build national, regional, and global norms for preventing deliberate and/or accidental biological events; and 2) promote cross-sectoral and cross-regional partnerships to advance biosecurity and biosafety. Papers should directly address the biosecurity targets included within the World Health Organization Joint External Evaluation and the GHSA Action Package on Biosecurity and Biosafety (APP3).
In addition to publication, the winning team(s) for the 2019 Next Generation for Biosecurity Competition will receive travel and lodging support to attend and present during a side-event hosted by NTI at the Biological Weapons Convention Meeting of State Parties in Geneva, Switzerland from December 3-6, 2019.
The complete Call for Papers guidelines can be found here.
To participate in this competition, the following criteria must be met:
- All applicants must be either enrolled at an academic institution or working as a young professional in the biosecurity and/or biosafety fields.
- At least one team member must be part of the Next Generation GHS Network — to join, click here.
- Teams are strongly encouraged to include NextGen GHS Network members from more than one country and/or region and to be cross-sectoral. Need a team? Once you have completed this form, you may find potential teammates with similar interests here.
- Papers must include a specific focus on biosecurity (solely or in addition to biosafety) and must address the biosecurity-related indicators contained in the JEE. Broader applications focused on other elements of the GHSA and/or WHO JEE will not be considered for this competition.
- The new deadline for submissions is October 29, 2019 at midnight EDT. Submissions should be sent to [email protected].