Romania on Tuesday said it remains on track to house U.S. ballistic missile interceptors under the Obama administration's revised plan for a European antimissile system, the Associated Press reported.
The U.S. Defense Department announced last week it would cancel the final phase of the "phased adaptive approach" for Europe, which involved deployment of next-generation Standard Missile 3 interceptors with a limited capability to eliminate ICBMs. The Pentagon is canceling the developmental weapon in favor of adding 14 interceptors in Alaska under the Ground-based Midcourse Defense system.
The GMD system is so far primarily aimed at countering North Korean missile threats, while Iran is the lead target for the U.S.-NATO shield being developed in Europe.
The phased adaptive approach still calls for fielding 24 SM-3 interceptors in Romania in 2015.
"I have very serious assurances from the American side that the investment in Romania will continue," Romanian Defense Minister Mircea Dusa said to AP. "Our military cooperation (with the U.S.) since we joined NATO is an exceptional one."