Want to dive deeper?
This page is part of the Facilities Collection.
Established in 1983, the Higher Institute of Applied Science and Technology (HIAST) is an engineering and technology university in Damascus that offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in disciplines such as physics, mathematics, engineering and electronics. 1 According to the U.S. Treasury Department, HIAST provides training to engineers affiliated with the Scientific Studies and Research Center, which is responsible for Syria’s WMD and missile development programs. 2 The U.S. government has imposed sanctions on HIAST.
- WMD (weapons of mass destruction)
- WMD: Typically refers to nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons, though there is some debate as to whether chemical weapons qualify as weapons of “mass destruction.”
- Punitive measures, for example economic in nature, implemented in response to a state's violation of its international obligations.
- “General Information,” Institute for Applied Sciences and Technology, www.hiast.edu.sy.
- Jeannine Aversa, “Treasury Moves to Clamp Down on Syrian Entities Accused of Spreading Weapons,” AP, 4 January 2007.