Want to dive deeper?
The Institute of Atomic Energy was established in 1992, in Kurchatov, Kazakhstan (near the Semipalatinsk Testing Site), and IAE was modeled after Russia’s Combined Expedition of Luch Scientific and Production. 1 IAE’s primary activity areas are developing nuclear energy, experimental research on nuclear power safety, experimental studies on structural materials for nuclear and thermonuclear engineering, collaborative work in decommissioning the BN-350 fast neutron reactor, participating in the Kazakhstan Material Thermonuclear Reactor Project, and participating in radioactive waste disposal. 2
M.K. Skakov is the Deputy Director General for Science of IAE. 3
The facility is composed of the Baykal-1 complex (IVG-1M and RA research reactors) and IGR complex (IGR research reactor). 4
- Research reactor
- Research reactor: Small fission reactors designed to produce neutrons for a variety of purposes, including scientific research, training, and medical isotope production. Unlike commercial power reactors, they are not designed to generate power.
- “Institute of Atomic Energy,” National Nuclear Center of Kazakhstan, www.nnc.kz.
- “About the Enterprise,” Institute of Atomic Energy, www.iae.kz.
- “National Nuclear Center of the Republic of Kazakhstan; Institute of Atomic Energy,” International Science and Technology Center, www.istc.ru.
- “Uranium and Nuclear Power in Kazakhstan,” World Nuclear Association, April 2014, www.world-nuclear.org.