This page is part of the Facilities Collection.
In March 2005, The U.S. Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security added the National Standards and Calibration Laboratory (NSCL) to a “list of entities whose activities pose a risk of diverting exported and re-exported items into programs related to weapons of mass destruction.” 1 Two years later, the U.S. Department of the Treasury sanctioned the NSCL under Executive Order 13382. 2 However, the U.S. government has not released any more specific information about this organization’s activities.
- WMD (weapons of mass destruction)
- WMD: Typically refers to nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons, though there is some debate as to whether chemical weapons qualify as weapons of “mass destruction.”
- Punitive measures, for example economic in nature, implemented in response to a state's violation of its international obligations.
- “Three Entities Targeted by Treasury for Supporting Syria’s WMD Proliferation,” U.S. Department of the Treasury, 4 January 2007, www.ustreas.gov.
- “U.S. Blacklists Syrian Outfits Over WMD Charges,” AFP, 4 January 2007.