Established in 1956, TRINITI conducts research in the areas of controlled thermonuclear fusion, plasma physics, laser physics and engineering, and pulsed power sources based on MHD-generators. The Institute is currently investigating the use of mobile laser technology systems for emergency repair operations at oil and gas drilling operations, in nuclear power plants, and for dismantlement of nuclear submarines. TRINITI conducts experiments into controlled nuclear fusion using its Angara-5-1 facility. 1 The Institute carries out research for Rosatom, the Ministry of Defense, and the Ministry of Education and Science. 2 TRINITI has a history of cooperation with foreign partners.
- Nuclear fusion is a type of nuclear reaction in which two atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing energy. For a fusion reaction to take place, the nuclei, which are positively charged, must have enough kinetic energy to overcome their electrostatic force of repulsion (also called the Coulomb Barrier). Thermonuclear fusion of deuterium and tritium will produce a helium nucleus and an energetic neutron. This is one basis of the Hydrogen Bomb, which employs a brief, uncontrolled thermonuclear fusion reaction. A great effort is now underway to harness thermonuclear fusion as a source of power.
- Nuclear power plant
- Nuclear power plant: A facility that generates electricity using a nuclear reactor as its heat source to provide steam to a turbine generator.
- Dismantlement: Taking apart a weapon, facility, or other item so that it is no longer functional.
- "Об институте" About the institute, Государственный научный центр Российской Федерации Троицкий институт инновационных и термоядерных исследований (ТРИНИТИ) Troitskii Institute of Innovative and Thermonuclear Research (TRINITI), www.triniti.ru.
- "Институт сегодня" The institute today, Государственный научный центр Российской Федерации Троицкий институт инновационных и термоядерных исследований (ТРИНИТИ) Troitskii Institute of Innovative and Thermonuclear Research (TRINITI), www.triniti.ru.