The Electronics & Radar Development Establishment (LRDE) grew out of the Scientific Stores, which was established in Rawalpindi (now in Pakistan) in 1939. In 1946, the Scientific Stores was renamed as the Technical Development Establishment (TDE) and relocated to Dehradun. In 1958, the TDE was reorganized into R&D and inspection units; the R&D unit was shifted to Bangalore. Later, in 1962, the latter division was redesignated as LRDE and dedicated to the design and development of radar and communications equipment.
LRDE has designed and developed the Rajendra phased array radar for the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO)’s surface-to-air missile program. This radar provides “3-D target detection, multi-target tracking, and multiple missile guidance under extreme hostile environment.” The electronic systems and command and control posts of this radar system are housed in two separate tracked vehicles. According to the DRDO, the Rajendra radar system offers “high degree of mobility, fast deployment, high grades of availability/redundancy, and totally automated modes of operation.”
 Defence Research & Development Organisation, “Electronics & Radar Establishment,” www.drdo.org;
 Defence Research & Development Organisation, “Address Book,” www.drdo.org.