Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) senior leaders and experts will present and participate at the Institute for Nuclear Materials Management (INMM) & European Safeguards Research and Development Association (ESARDA) Joint Annual Virtual Meeting, hosted between August 23 – September 1, 2021.
The virtual conference will bring together nuclear materials management and safeguards communities on both sides of the Atlantic to share progress, projects and discuss priorities across a variety of sectors—from government offices, national laboratories, non-governmental organizations, academia, and nuclear industry. This year’s annual meeting is focused on innovation and international collaboration, featuring panels about cross-cutting issues as well as technical presentations.
NTI experts will present papers and speak on various panels and at government or NGO-sponsored side events throughout the conference. The full schedule of NTI participation is below. Visit the INMM website for the full conference agenda.
Monday, August 23
- 2:30-3:30 PM ET: Presidents’ Reception. NTI President and COO Joan Rohlfing will give short remarks during the INMM Presidents’ Reception.
Wednesday, August 25
- 10:45am – 12:30 PM ET: Sustaining Nuclear Security During COVID Session. Featuring NTI Program Officer Jessica Bufford as co-chair of a panel on Nuclear Security in the Age of COVID.
- 1:00 – 2:45 PM ET: The International Partnership for Nuclear Disarmament Verification Session. Featuring technology presentations from IPNDV members derived from 2019 Belgian Measurement Campaign:
- Alessandro Borella (Belgium)
- Jennifer Schofield (United Kingdom)
- Istvan Almasi (Hungary)
- Manuel Kreutle (Germany)
- David Boardman (Australia)
- Nicholas Reed (United Kingdom)
Thursday, August 26
- 9:30 – 10:30 AM ET: Increasing Diversity in Nuclear Fields II Session. Featuring a presentation by NTI Program Officer Jack Brosnan on Gendered Impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Nuclear Workforce from NTI’s Gender Champions in Nuclear Policy project.
- 1:00 PM ET: Spent Nuclear Fuel Management – Policy Dimensions Session. Featuring presentations from participants involved in NTI’s Developing Spent Fuel Strategies project, including Ben Belfadhel (Nuclear Waste Management Organization) and Sylvia Saltzstein (Sandia National Laboratories).
Friday, August 27
- 11:45 AM – 1:15 PM ET: INMM Nonproliferation & Arms Control Technical Division Meeting. This business meeting of INMM will be co-chaired by NTI Senior Program Officer Leon Ratz.
Monday, August 30
- 10:45 AM – 12:30 PM ET: Alternate Technologies II Session. Featuring Samantha Neakrase as co-chair.
- 1:00 – 2:45 PM ET: Poster Session. Presentation by Samantha Neakrase on The 2020 NTI Nuclear Security Index: Losing Focus in A Disordered World.
- 1:00 PM ET: Advancements in Spent Nuclear Fuel Management (featuring Pacific Rim Collaboration) Session. Featuring presentations from participants involved in NTI’s Developing Spent Fuel Strategies project. NTI consultant Alina Constantin will present a paper co-authored by NTI Senior Director Andrew Newman and NTI consultant Thomas Isaacs.
Tuesday, August 31
- 10:45 AM – 12:30 PM ET: Breaking the Stigma: LGBTQ+ Inclusion in Nuclear Materials Management Session. Featuring NTI Senior Program Officer Leon Ratz as chair.
Wednesday, September 1
- 9:30 – 10:30 AM ET: Advanced Reactors and Nuclear Policy: Building Toward the Future Session featuring NTI Program Officer Jessica Bufford as panel co-chair.
- 9:30 – 10:30 AM ET: The International Partnership for Nuclear Disarmament Verification: Advancing Technology and Approaches Session, featuring presentations from IPNDV members:
- Michele Smith (USA)
- Elaine Kanasewich (Canada)
- Mihail Vardai (Hungary)