President Putin’s announcement that he has put his country’s nuclear forces on heightened alert and his military’s seizure of Europe’s largest nuclear power plant has brought the world perilously close to a nuclear catastrophe. As the war in Ukraine continues, destroying cities and causing the worst humanitarian crisis in Europe in a generation, NTI’s policy experts are fanning out across the news media to discuss the implications of Putin’s actions. We’re also sharing information on social media channels and across NTI’s website. The following list of resources will be updated as events warrant.
NTI policy experts are available for members of the news media covering Ukraine, including Ernest J. Moniz, Sam Nunn, Joan Rohlfing, Lynn Rusten, Steve Andreasen, Mark Melamed, Scott Roecker, and Nickolas Roth. To arrange an interview, please contact Cathy Gwin at [email protected] or 202-270-5942.
- Co-Chair and CEO Ernest J. Moniz spoke with MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell about Russia’s latest nuclear threats and the visit to Chernobyl by IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi. Watch the five-minute interview here. (April 26)
- NTI advisor Siegfried Hecker spoke to the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists for an article headlined “Putin has destroyed the world nuclear order. How should democracies respond?” Read the Q&A here. (April 21)
- NTI Fellow Angela Kane spoke with CBC News for an article headlined “What Counts as a Chemical Weapon and How to Tell Who’s Using One.” Read the article here. (April 15)
- At a recent forum hosted by the Sam Nunn School of International Affairs at Georgia Tech, Co-Chair Senator Nunn asked CIA Director William J. Burns about whether Russian President Putin might use nuclear weapons. Read more in The New York Times here. (April 14)
- NTI intern Lia Sokol wrote a blog for Atomic Pulse headlined “Russia’s Kinzhal Hypersonic Missile: A Game-Changing Weapon or a Distraction?” Read her blog post here. (April 7)
- CNBC spoke with a range of nuclear experts, including Global Nuclear Policy Program Vice President Lynn Rusten, for a segment on “What Happens If There’s A Nuclear Attack.” Watch the 13-minute video here. (April 5)
- Sen. Sam Nunn spoke with Ellen Knickmeyer of The Associated Press for an article headlined “West, Russia Mull Nuclear Steps In a ‘More Dangerous’ World.” Read the full article here. (April 2)
- Sec. Moniz appeared on Bloomberg TV to discuss Putin’s nuclear saber rattling, sole authority, tactical nuclear weapons and energy issues. You can watch the nine-minute interview here. (March 30)
- NTI | bio Deputy Vice President Hayley Severance was featured in a TIME article headlined “Lab Leaks Are a Small But Real Risk in Ukraine.” Read the article here. (March 29)
- Hayley Severance was featured in a WIRED article headlined “Russia’s Lies About Bioweapons in Ukraine Make the World Less Safe.” Read the article here. (March 29)
- Sen. Nunn was featured in a Politico article headlined “How the Ukraine War Could Go Nuclear.” NTI’s fail-safe proposal, the recent EASLG statement and the recent Atomic Pulse blog on nuclear blunder were also highlighted. Read the article here. (March 24)
- Sec. Moniz co-authored an op-ed with Dick Meserve in Defense One on how to secure nuclear facilities globally in light of the recent attacks in Ukraine. Read the op-ed here. (March 23)
- Nuclear Materials Security Senior Director Nick Roth was cited by The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists in “10 must-read Twitter threads on the war in Ukraine.” Read the article here. (March 21)
- Sec. Moniz appeared on HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher” to discuss nuclear threats relating to the war in Ukraine. You can watch the six-minute nuclear segment here, read the transcript here, and and the ten-minute “Overtime” panel segment here. (March 18)
- Sam Nunn appeared on NPR’s “Here & Now” program to discuss the various WMD threats in Ukraine. Listen to the five-minute interview here. (March 17)
- Sam Nunn and Lynn Rusten spoke with Defense One for an article headlined “Can Russia’s War Revive the Anti-Nuke Movement?” Read the article here. (March 12)
- Sec. Moniz appeared on CNN to discuss the threat to Ukraine’s nuclear power plants and the pause in talks to revive the Iran nuclear deal. Watch the interview here. (March 11)
- Ernest J. Moniz appeared on MSNBC to discuss rising gas prices and the threat to Ukraine’s nuclear power plants. Watch the interview here. (March 11)
- Sam Nunn spoke with former Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson for the Straight Talk podcast. They discussed NTI’s work, the war in Ukraine, Nunn’s Senate career, U.S.-China relations, and more. Listen to the interview here. (March 11)
- Senior Director Eric Brewer spoke to Radio Free Europe about whether Russia’s invasion of Ukraine would derail the Iran nuclear deal. Read the article here. (March 10)
- Lynn Rusten spoke to The New Republic about nuclear risks in Ukraine. Read the article here. (March 7)
- Ernest J. Moniz spoke with Ali Velshi on MSNBC to discuss nuclear dangers in Ukraine and related energy issues. Watch the five-minute nuclear segment here, and the five-minute energy segment here. (March 5)
- Ernest J. Moniz spoke with John Berman of CNN regarding the March 3 nuclear power plant attack in Ukraine. Read the transcript here. (March 5)
- President and COO Joan Rohlfing spoke to Newsweek about how the Ukraine conflict risks a new U.S.-Russia arms race. Read the article here. (March 3)
- Nuclear Materials Security Vice President Scott Roecker spoke with CBS News regarding the March 3 nuclear power plant attack in Ukraine. Watch the five-minute interview here. (March 4)
- Nick Roth appeared on The HillTV to discuss the recent nuclear power plant attack in Ukraine. To watch the interview, click here and scroll down to headline “Putin’s Nuclear Power Plant Strike.” (March 4)
- Ernest J. Moniz spoke with Chuck Todd for his “Meet the Press” podcast. Listen to the audio here (March 4)
- Lynn Rusten spoke to Foreign Policy about the future of arms control. Read the article here (March 1).
- Sam Nunn appeared on Georgia Public Radio with Bill Nigut and Jim Galloway. Read the transcript here and listen to the audio here (Feb. 28). NTI Board member emerita Susan Eisenhower highlighted the interview in her blog here.
- Ernest J. Moniz appeared on MSNBC with Andrea Mitchell. Watch the video here, and read the transcript here (Feb. 27).
- Lynn Rusten spoke to Politico about the importance of military-to-military communication. Read the article here (Feb. 27)
- Sam Nunn appeared on MSNBC with Andrea Mitchell and Admiral James Stavridis. Watch the video here, or read transcript here. (Feb. 16)
Op-eds and blog posts
- Sec. Moniz wrote an op-ed for The Economist’s “By Invitation” section on “Vladimir Putin’s Reckless Nuclear Threats.” Read the op-ed here. (March 18)
- NTI consultant Christopher Colletta wrote a blog post for Atomic Pulse on “Blundering into a Nuclear War in Ukraine: A Hypothetical Scenario.” Read the blog here. (March 18)
- NTI Communications intern Aya Al-Shakarchi wrote a blog post for Atomic Pulse on “Watching a War Unfold on TikTok.” Read the blog here. (March 18)
- “Russian Propaganda Establishes Dangerous, Permissive Environment.” NTI | bio’s Hayley Severance and Jacob Eckles address false claims that Ukrainian biological research facilities are secretly being used to build bioweapons. Read the Atomic Pulse post here. (March 11)
- “What happened at Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant and what are the implications?” Atomic Pulse post by Senior Director Nick Roth here. (March 9)
- “The Ukraine invasion highlights why Biden’s Nuclear Posture Review should endorse bold new vision for nuclear security.” Op-ed by Nick Roth for The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. Read the op-ed here. (Feb. 28)
- “Leaders must untie the ‘knot of war’ in Europe.” Op-ed in The Hill by NTI Board member Amb. Jon Huntsman, Ernest J. Moniz, and Sam Nunn. Read op-ed here (Feb. 10).
The five co-conveners of the Euro-Atlantic Security Leadership Group (EASLG) released a statement on “Ukraine and Reducing Nuclear Risks.” The statement, which can be found here, was highlighted in news coverage around the globe, including The Guardian. (March 14)
NTI statement from Ernest J. Moniz, Sam Nunn, and Joan Rohlfing on the Russian invasion can be found here. (Feb. 24)
NTI on Twitter
Co-Chair and CEO Ernest J. Moniz: @ErnestMoniz
Nuclear Materials Security Vice President Scott Roecker: @scottroecker
Nuclear materials Security Senior Director Nick Roth: @Nickolas_Roth
President and COO Joan Rohlfing: @JoanRohlfing
NTI’s updated Ukraine country page can be found here.