|Last Updated:||June 1, 2004|
|Other Name:||Institute for Technology of Nuclear and Other Raw Materials|
|Location:||Directorate for Nuclear Raw Materials, Belgrade|
|Subordinate To:||Formerly under Federal Nuclear Energy Commission; current authority is unclear, most likely the Ministry of Energy and Mines|
|Size:||Extensive facilities and laboratories spread all over the country|
The Institute was established in 1955 to produce nuclear related fuels and equipment from domestic raw materials. During this time, much of the Institute's mandate was to investigate new technologies and determine how they might be applied to support Yugoslavia's nuclear program. Among its past achievements, the Institute participated in the design and construction of a semi-industrial plant at Kalna; designed and constructed a pilot plant Gabrovnica, and separated uranium from granite ore from the surrounding area; and successfully separated uranium from various media and locations.  The institute also directed activities to refine uranium concentrate, processed uranium concentrate into metal and vacuum metallurgy, and it introduced new methods of uranium analysis. Lastly, the Institute has tested various methods for recovery uranium from wet-process phosphoric acid. The current status of the Institute is unknown. 
 Slobodan Nakicenovic, Nuclear Energy in Yugoslavia, (Beograde: Export Press, 1961), pp. 88, 89
 Andrew Koch, "Yugoslavia's Nuclear Legacy: Should We Worry?" The Nonproliferation Review, Spring/Summer 1997, www.nonproliferation.org.