|Last Updated:||April 1, 2003|
|Other Name:||애국복합미생물센터; Patriots Compound Microbiology Center, Compound Microbe Technology Institute (복합미생물연구소)|
|Location:||Kangnam-kun (강남군), Pyongyang (평양시), North Korea|
|Subordinate To:||Academy of Sciences (과학원), Cabinet (내각)|
|Size:||Over 120 subsidiary Microbial fertilizer factories nationwide|
The Aeguk Compound Microbe Center was founded in June 1997 pursuant to Kim Jong Il's orders for the creation of microbial fertilizers suitable for North Korea's geographical conditions. Any connections to the North Korean program are unclear, but the center was built with assistance from Choch'ongnyŏn (Chosen Soren), the pro-North Korea General Association of Korean Residents in Japan. Almost all facilities with the designation "Aeguk (애국)" have been established with assistance from overseas pro-North Korean residents. The facility was expanded in April 1999 when the Compound Microbe Technical Research Station was established. The Aeguk Compound Microbe Center produces microbial stock (원균) in a liquid solution, and supplies the stock to compound microbial fertilizer factories throughout the country, which in turn produce microbial-based fertilizer supplements. According to the Pyongyang Times, the Aeguk Compound Microbe Center also assists farms in applying compound fertilizer produced at these factories. There are reportedly over 120 compound microbial fertilizer factories (복합미생물비료공장) in North Korea including the following:
- Chŏngju Aeguk Compound Microbial Fertilizer Factory (정주애국복합미생물비료공장): Chŏngju (정주시), North P'yŏng'an Province (평안남도)
- Hamhŭng Aeguk Compound Microbial Fertilizer Factory (합흥애국복합미생물비료공장): Hamhŭng (함훙시), South Hamgyŏng Province (함경남도)
- Hamju Aeguk Compound Microbial Fertilizer Factory (함주애국복합미생물비료공장): Hamju-kun (함주군), South Hamgyŏng Province (함경남도)
- Kae'p'ung Compound Microbial Fertilizer Factory (개풍애국복합미생물비료공장): Kae'p'ung-kun (개풍군), Kaesŏng (개성시)
- Kwaksan Aeguk Compound Microbial Fertilizer Factory (곽산애국복합미생물비료공장): Kwaksan-kun (곽산국), North P'yong'an Province (평안북도)
- P'anmun Aeguk Compound Microbial Fertilizer Factory (판문애국복합미생물비료공장): P'anmun-kun (판문군), Kaesŏng (개성시)
- Man'gyŏngdae Aeguk Compound Microbial Fertilizer Factory (만경대애국복합미생물비료공장): Man'gyŏngdae-kuyŏk (만경대구역), Pyongyang (평양시)
As of 2000, the chief of the Aeguk Compound Microbe Center was Kim Ung Ho, who was also chairman of the DPRK Invention Committee.
 "Asia Report N°168: North Korea’s Nuclear and Missile Programs,” The International Crisis Group, 18 June 2009, www.crisisgroup.org;
 Anthony H. Cordesman, Andrew Gagel, Varun Vira, Alex Wilner, and Robert Hammond, "The Korean Military Balance: Comparative Korean Forces and The Forces of Key Neighboring States," Center For Strategic & International Studies, 6 May 2011, www.csis.org.